Monday, May 12, 2008

The generation gap widens...

When you're sick for an extended period of time, things that are not yours find their way magically into your desk. As a result of this phenomenon, today I found myself using a wooden ruler since the first time since grade school.

It was one of the old school ones with a little strip of brass embedded into the edge to keep it straight... a curiosity in a world that has moved on to superhard plastics and ceramic composite drafting tools that never lose their edge no matter how many times you tap the desk in thought with them. I commented to my co-worker that they don't really make them like that anymore, which prompted the following exchange as I returned her ruler:

Me: Here's your antiquated ruler back...
Her: Antiquated? What do you mean?
Me: Well, it's tough to find them... most of the world has moved on to plastic.
Her: It's just a simple wooden ruler, Rob... you can buy them in any office supply store.
Me: Yeah, and you can buy two rocks to bang together in a garden store, but personally I'd rather use a lighter.

I suppose it's a good thing I didn't find a slide rule in my desk or my laughter would have put me in the hospital with a worse case of pleurisy than I already have.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That little brass strip really hurts when it hits you... so I've heard.

sinister_n_evil said...

in grammer school the principal threatened to hit us over the nuckles with that little brass strip... damn nuns...

thanks for triggering the vivid nightmares of my youth...lol..

Melinda said...

Pleurisy? How do you end up with diseases no one's heard of since the Middle Ages?

Next week: Rob battles the Bubonic Plague and must get bled by the local barber.