Thursday, March 21, 2013

CoastCon Craziness...

This past weekend, CoastCon 36 descended upon the Mississippi Gulf Coast Coliseum, and much fun was had by all. My panel load was actually fairly light compared to years past, which was a good thing as it gave me more time at my table in the vendors room selling books and talking to my fans.

It still feels a little strange to say "my fans". I don't know if it will ever feel quite natural. I will probably always think of myself as just an ordinary guy with a gift for fart jokes, and it always amazes me when those around me see me as anything more.

Still, I did really well at CoastCon. I sold almost all the books I brought, and got to meet some wonderful people and catch up with old friends. In attendance was Kerlak Publishing's Allan Gilbreath and Kim Richardson, who surprised me with a copy of the most recent anthology to feature my work, "Dreams of Steam III: Gadgets" I've already read through my copy, and have to say that it is truly an honor to be counted among such talented authors. At least three people came up to me with copies of the book in their hands for me to sign over the weekend, and I saw many more walking around with copies, which made me smile.

It seems that I'm developing quite the reputation as a "Steampunk" author. I find this funny because I think of myself more of a "Historical Fiction/Alternative history/Sci-fi" guy. I suppose that Steampunk is alternate history so I won't quibble... It's enough for me that people seem to enjoy what I write. The Adventurers League of G.E.A.R.S. was doing a panel as I was walking by about Steampunk, and called me in to talk to their audience about the steampunk elements of my books. I will admit, I totally felt like a rock star.

The ZBBC was also there, promoting their Kickstarter for the Adventures of Keith Flippen. For those that haven't seen it yet, here is the original, award winning short:

I am truly blessed to be surrounded by such fun, creative people.

Next up: The Louisiana Sci-Fi and Costuming Festival

No comments: