Saturday, May 21, 2005

The generation gap gets wider..

A curious thing happened to me today. An Older friend and co-worker, Red, and I were talking about movies. During the conversation, I mentioned that my plans for this evening included going to see “Revenge of the Sith”, and this wonderful woman whose taste in movies I have found to be exemplary, looked at me with a blank stare.

“What’s that?” Red said.
“Star Wars.” I said.
“Oh…” She says, looking still as blank as before, “I’ve never seen it.”

Now this shocked me the same way it would to find out, after all these years, that there really was a Santa that was killed by the FBI shortly after Christmas, 1963.

“NEVER SEEN STAR WARS?” I said, “did you spend the past thirty years in a coma or something?”
“Well…” She says, “I think I’ve seen parts of them.”
“Parts of them.”
“Yeah… I remember one with a big snail.”
“Not Doctor Doolitle?”
“No… this one had a deeper voice.”
“Oh,” I say, “Jabba the hut. Return of the Jedi.”
“Right. I also remember one with these animal looking things stomping through the snow.”
“The Empire strikes back?”
“That may have been it. I also remember this big hairy thing going ‘ooo-ooo’ a lot”
“Ooo-ooo?”
“Yeah. It hung out with that guy played by Indiana Jones.”
“Chewbacca?”
“Sounds right.”

Well, you get the drift. A surreal conversation to say the least. One of the first movies I can actually remember seeing in the theatre was Star Wars with my Dad. I was seven, and I can still remember thrilling to the triumph of good over evil. It was a message that my young mind never forgot. To hear someone else I respect just not be interested in it really shocked me. But then again, it shocks her that I've never seen "fiddler on the roof"

Ahhh... if I were a rich man. Still, I do subscribe to Netflix now, so if anyone has any good movie suggestions, please let me know.

No comments: