Sunday, September 25, 2005

Settling into life in Brandon...



So, life goes on, apparently... right or wrongness of it being irrelevant. As many of you can imagine, it's been a long month or so. I still haven't gotten back to my apartment to survey any damage and/or take inventory on my stuff. I have come to the conclusion that I will not be returning to New Orleans anytime soon, but still don't intend on doing much else but enjoying Mr. and Mrs. Spanky's hospitality until such time as I can.

Oh, why haven't I gotten back yet? Well, while some of you may have heard that the Mayor lifted the mandatory evacuation of Orleans for Algiers Point, (where DOA headquarters sits) that lifting lasted all of a day. they opened it Monday, I was planning to go down there Tuesday, but by Monday night, FEMA talked the mayor into closing the parish again because of hurricane Rita, which was still days away.

My frustration level peaked at this point, and I have no doubt that if I was prone to high blood pressure, it would have blown my freakin head off.

So, here I sit, in Brandon, waiting for Drew to do something foolish. He hasn't done anything really blog-worthy since the chainsaw catching incident, but as we were repainting the frame for the back door last weekend, I kept looking at him with a scene from the Simpsons in mind: Lenny, Carl and others are gathered at the doorway to sector 7G, all intently watching Homer at work. Then Lenny says, "Okay... everyone be quiet... he's about to do something stupid."

Ah, life in semi-rural Mississippi. Gotta love it. At least until THEY LET ME BACK TO MY FREAKIN HOUSE!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drew is letting the side down!! I log in especially to read about his exploits :)

I had never heard of Brandon, Mississippi (I am a foreigner after all..) so I googled it.

Total population
16,436
Average age (years) 36.62

Small and young?

Glad the cartoons are back:-D
I hope you are able to get back to your place soon and that all your belongings are as you left them.

Unknown said...

At least master using the scanner :) I think you should use grayscale instead of black & white - you'd end up with smoother edges on the comics.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back, Big Guy. I miss the freaking hell out of you! Strangely, I find myself missing Aunt Rose, Aunt Jackie, and the rest of the work gang. Not to mention all of our crazy friends. I'm really starting to regret causing that hurricane. My friend Don (upon hearing about Rita) wanted to know how good the sex had to be for me to summon two storms! Ah, we must laugh to keep from crying. More cartoons soon please!