Friday, October 07, 2005

"Well i'm on my way"-Rob from the road day 1-"Chasing Katrina"

Well, dear readers, I am indeed on my way on a month or so road trip to "find my placein the world" I drove up through alabama into the Great Smokey Mountains of tennesee and the carolinas... So named because in certain types of weather, the fog formations make them appear to actually smoke! I never would have known this had I not seen it with my own eyes. One thing that suprised me though, was how far the devestation left by the hurricane that has uprooted my life extended... I realized at some point that I was actually following almost exactly the path the storm had taken after it passed over louisiana and mississippi... I was still seeing downed trees and signs as far north as tuscolusa, alabama. Powerful storm. Powerful images.

Observations from the Road today:

Distance traveled: ~600 miles- from Brandon MS, to Asheville, NC

Average price of gas: $2.89

Stupid town name du jour: Chunky, MS.

Unusual sight of the day... two people running after a runnaway trailer labeled "$4000 takes it"

Great revalation: I think too much about a particular woman.

Great revalation #2: Paul Simon writes one hell of a road song. the first three tracks of his greatest hits album are the greatest!

Great revalation #3: I have no idea what the "coast" button on the cruise control does... and 70mph (110 kph- thinkin of all you european types) is no time for me to find out. anyone know?

Till tomorrow, y'all... the Blue Ridge Parkway beckons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great road trip/driving song:
"I can't drive 55"

Stacey said...

Chunky is just the tip of the iceberg. There's a D'Lo and a Hot Coffee, MS as well.

The coast button causes the car to slow down a few MPH. I don't think I've ever used it.

Anonymous said...

I miss you so much, man!!!!!!! I'm going on my own trip soon. I've been offered a free stay in a nice extended-stay hotel in Alexandria, Virginia. From there, I'll be looking for apartments and jobs in D.C. If there's any way you'll be passing through there say end of October, beginning of November, let me know. We'll give the D.C. strippers a grand old time!

Anonymous said...

By the way, best place name you missed:
Dildo, Louisiana