Sunday, January 08, 2006

New Orelans Update

Well, things seem to be progressing nicely here in the Big Easy... it's looking more and more every day like the city is gonna be back, and in style, within a year or so. Mind you, there are still parts of the city without power, people are living in trailers, and there is no such thing as fast food here anymore as the average wait time at my local Burger King is 25 minutes; Popeyes (real Popeyes, mind you , not the uberbland brandon substitute)is 36 minutes... and DON'T get me started about Taco Bell! Such is life, I suppose. The storm did a mess o' damage, and there's no getting around it. People are coming back, though... as more FEMA trailers become available. If anyone can think of a way to make money off of used FEMA trailers, let me know... I think that in about a year, they'll be a dime a dozen down here. Might make for a neat theme hotel... "the Post Katrina experience".

I went down to the French Quarter with Dizzy a few nights ago... And it's still eerily quiet. Still, more things are open... and more people are out and about. I had some benigets, and a good Cafe Du Monde cup of coffee. I also ran into a good friend from my old job, who is still living on one of the boats till his Trailer comes through.

Mardi Gras will be going forth this year... a sure sign of my city's perserverence. In addition, there's only 28 days to send out your Robbie Gras cards, do your Robbie Gras shopping, and plan your Robbie Gras celebrations. Of course, all of you people who read my blog worldwide are welcome to come on down to the big easy for Robbie Gras, and I would love to hear from y'all. (Dreamwalker... I'm looking at you!) As plans firm up for Robbie Gras, I will of course keep you posted.

The super good news of the week though, is that I GOT A JOB! Not a hoax, not an imaginary story induced by too many Froot Loops. I'll be working the front desk at a local hotel, which is exactly what I was looking for. And to think that I was a whisker away from taking a job doing oil changes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the job. How were the "benigets" anyway? :)

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm going to miss Robbie Gras! Crap on a cracker! Congrats on the job by the way! And I just want to say that I can't believe that a certain company associated with our old job is doing "disaster tours." How sick and morbid can you get? Do they get a free drink if they find an as yet undiscovered body? grrrrrrrrrrrr

Anonymous said...

Great to hear about the job..congratulations!! I would love to attend Robbie Gras, it is on my wish list, and if I win the lotto I'll definately be there. Since your blog is probably as close as I'll get, I want to see photos of the event:)

Elle said...

Two questions I meant to ask...

1)I have heard (news) that people will lose the rights to their property if they dont return to NO. Can this be true?
2)Do you really play the accordion?

Love the story:)