Saturday, June 07, 2008

The Book Meme...

Lauren Tagged me for The Book Meme, and I never get tagged for anything anymore... so here we go:

Total number of books I’ve owned:

In my lifetime? Thousands, and that's not counting the comic books... Right now, my personal collection of books, cookbooks and comics numbers at about 600 or so (all of which I have read)... and when you consider that I threw/donated/sold/gave half of them away before I moved in with Silverfox in November, and I'm not counting the books owned by Silverfox and the kids... That's a lot of books, kids. I have a respectable personal library going on.

Last book I bought:
Anasani Boys by Neil Gaiman. Still haven't read it because I need to read American Gods first. No, wait... I had Silverfox buy me the Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook.

Last book I read:

Comic book/Graphic novel: The greatest Superman Stories ever told for the fifth time or so.

Children's book: I read Harold and the Purple Crayon to Short stuff last week.

Regular book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire- I'm slowly getting through the series.

Book I’m reading right now:

I am embarrassed to say that there is no book on my nightstand at the moment.

Five books that mean something to me:

Harold's ABC's- The first book I can remember reading by myself.

Raise the Titanic by Clive Cussler- My Dad gave me his paperback copy of this book so I would have something to read for a book report when I was ten. I loved it. It's responsible for my fascination with the sea and lost treasures. Mr Cussler- if you're ever in New Orleans, I would like to buy you a beer.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams- taught me that Sci-Fi could be funny without being a parody of itself.

Kingdom Come by Alex Ross and Mark Waid- The first Graphic novel that I ever said "wow" out loud after reading it. It plays on the religious elements in the Superhero genre, and does it really well.

Batman: the Dark Night Returns by Frank Miller- Redefined the character of Batman for my generation. In my mind, he suddenly went from a campy do-gooder to a twisted psycho. This Graphic novel is the reason I wanted to become a writer... so I could tell stories that would effect people like this one did me.

Five books I think everyone should read at least once: (I added this one to the meme, as it seemed a little short on content)

The Bible- everyone should at least once. Belief in God aside, it is the basis for the bulk of western literature.

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke- In my opinion, the best science fiction novel ever... and I don't say that easily.

The Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons- A benchmark in the idea of Graphic Novel as true literature. An incredible story. Try to read it before the movie comes out and ruins it's reputation.

The Princess Bride (the good parts version) by William Goldman- Forget the movie... the book is sooooo much cooler. And you, in turn, will seem soooooo much geekier...

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes- About a Forrest Gump type that undergoes an experimental procedure to increase his intelligence. It will change the way you look at the mentally challenged in our society.

Five people that should answer these questions:

Silverfox, Stacey, Dave, Ducky, and Melinda

No comments: