Monday, April 02, 2007

Feh! April fool's day is for amateurs.

As many of you know, it is one of my lifelong goals to pull off a sensational hoax. I'm not talking a "Was that a UFO in this guy's out-of-focus picture?" hoax, either.... I'm talking a full blown "head for the hills, the Mole People are coming for us!" kind of hoax. I have a plan for one that I like to call "the BIG ONE" but I am not at liberty to divulge the details, for it could comprimise my agents in the field. In any event... I was really impressed and inspired by this list I came across, particularly by numbers 8, 11, 13 and 20. I actually once considered doing something similar to Richard Branson's stunt in London, (to the point where I had worked out how heavy the balloon would be vs. the helium volume and everything) but lacked the resources to pull it off.

You see, to me a good hoax is one that people will be talking about for decades... like Orson Wells' infamous "War of the Worlds" broadcast. It also shouldn't be on April Fool's day, because that's when people would be expecting it. It should be simple enough for anyone to understand what has 'happened' ("Omigod! The quantum matrix point of the underlying space-time matrix has cramps! We're all gonna die!" won't cut it) and it should be self sustaining (calling all crackpots.... time to come out of the woodwork and say 'we're all gonna die!'). At the same time, it shouldn't cause a panic... like some of these did. Ultimately, the best hoaxes are ones where people will speculate weither or not it was actually a hoax for years to come.

Some day...

No comments: