Monday, January 29, 2007

Trek Geek moment: A bad sign

I was reading over on Star Trek.com about the newest Trek movie in production, when I came upon the following quote from J.J. Abrams:

"On the one hand, for people who love Star Trek, the fix that they will get will be really satisfying,'' Abrams said. ''For people who've never seen it or know it vaguely, I think they will enjoy it equally, because the movie does not require you to know anything about Star Trek. I would actually prefer [that] people don't know the series, because I feel like they will come to it with an open mind.''

So, the writer of the only Star Trek that will be available in the forseeable future would prefer that people are completely ignorant of Star Trek. In short, not fans.

I held my tounge when they picked the writer of that god-awful disaster movie wanna-be Armeggeddon for this project. I overlooked that he had also written the syrupy shmaltz that became Forever Young, the only "cryogenic defrostee" movie that threatened to put it's audience to sleep. I could even get past the fact that he was a major writer for the ever-so-confusing Lost. Why? Because he also wrote a chunk of Alias, which obviously had a huge respect for it's fan following.

I smell another "Superman Returns".

1 comment:

Melinda said...

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....