Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Tuning up your life

Over on Trading Up, I am off to a rousing start in my quest for a boat, and I couldn't be happier.

Ya see, I have had some time to think lately... (a side effect of my lack of a social life) and I've decided that my life needs an overhaul. Don't get me wrong... I'm genuinely thankful for all that I've been blessed with... but it occurs to me that my life isn't really the one that I want. Inside me, there is a half-crazy (well, some would say all-crazy) bohemian gypsy that longs to express himself. Society has pushed on me the idea that happiness lies in stability, safety, and family... but that isn't me, and I doubt it ever will be.

When I was with my wife, I never really felt whole. Char made me very, very happy (before her illness), but there was always part of me that felt... chained... by the whole prospect of settling down. I would routinely ignore the part of me screaming leave it all behind, buy a Harley, and spend my life exploring this wonderous planet we all share.

I'm not saying I'm gonna pack it up and wander through the west like Kane from Kung-fu, but as I start staring down the barrel of 40, I realize that the Crazed Gypsy inside me needs some time in the sun. My soul demands it!

And who am I to argue with my soul?

So, I've identified a few things that I feel that this other half of me needs... one is to travel more, which is one of the reasons that I've said that all the trades for 'Trading up' will be made in person. Another is that like all good bohemians, I feel the need to express myself through music, so I will learn to play a musical instrument if it freaking kills me. There are a few others, but it's all about the baby steps, people.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I keep swearing I'm going to learn how to play guitar. I've owned a guitar since high school, and I still only know maybe two chords. I'm currently staring down 30, and thinking, this is it. Shall we be partners in this adventure? We both sign up for guitar (or other instrument) lessons?

Melinda said...

I can teach you how to play djimbe. It's not very hard, though I think it's rather difficult for a nerd to look truly cool playing an African drum. But cool-like is close enough.

Hey, call me when you have something worth trading for drum lessons.